CYPRUS ARCHITECTS ASSOCIATION
DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
Marios Pelekanos, Associate Professor
Monday 20 June – Friday 1 July 2022
Odou Cultural Center, Larnaca
RESEARCH FRAMEWORK- AIMS-METHODOLOGY
It is no coincidence that the modern Greek word “Xylo / Wood” has as its root the word “Hyle/ Matter”, i.e. the basis of the existence of the physical universe. The corresponding English word “Material” comes from the Latin “Materia”, which means “Wood”, and which in turn comes from the ancient Greek word “Mḗtēr”, which means Mother”. In other words, wood has always been associated with the origin and genesis of the material world.
Wood is one of the basic building materials, along with natural stone and soil, but it is the only living object among them. A wooden log, after being cut, is a ready pillar or a beam, even without any further shaping. From early on wood showed its great usefulness, especially in the case of a beam, since the stone could not bridge an opening in a straight line, while a piece of wood has exactly this possibility.
The light weight of wood, combined with its comparatively high bearing capacity, has made it a pioneer for thousands of years as the most suitable bearing roofing material. This trend continues to this day, although the 20th century reduced its use due to the potential of reinforced concrete.
Today, at a time when it is already showing its limits in terms of energy and sustainable development, wood is re-emerging as an important building material and even with new forms, such as glued laminated timber. Humans as creators invented several ways to use wood as a basic, but also as a secondary, building material, up to the present time. Its advantages are many (lightweight, almost no energy for processing, carbon dioxide storage capacity, familiar and attractive appearance, etc.), but also its protection is more than necessary.
- How is it possible to preserve wooden structures for thousands of years in excellent condition?
- What do I need to know to use a piece of wood as a building material?
- What are the properties of a wooden bearing member that affect its static behavior?
- How should a natural piece of wood be cut and how can be shaped into a construction member?
- How can I connect two pieces of wood without damaging them?
- Which are the basic “enemies” of a wooden structure and how can I protect it, especially through proper design?
These are some of the questions that will be answered during the Summer 2022 Workshop of the Cyprus Architects Association. Answers will not be only theoretical, since the participants will be asked to design, and build themselves, a useful object for public use.
It is expected that during the Workshop the electronic design of a wooden cross-section and the electronic concept of “Xylo/ Wood” will be transformed into actual fibers, knots, and cuts. The participants will realize the great ease of shaping a wooden structure, but also how easily it can be destroyed if the architect-creator has no proper knowledge and experience.
PROCESS FOR SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS
The Workshop is addressed to Young Architects and Students of Schools of Architecture (1st to 5th year), who study at the Universities in Cyprus and abroad.
Student participation will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis.
Care will be taken for as equal as a possible representation of all Universities, (local or from abroad). Priority will be given in relation to the time of submission of the application.
- PARTICIPATION FEE €60
- The participation fee includes accommodation in Odou Village during the days of the Workshop. The Organizers provide a half-board stay for the participants.
- Participants must have their own laptop, equipped with appropriate design software. They should also have with them basic design materials and tools for hand drawing.
- The participants have to fill and submit the participation declaration on the link: https://forms.gle/6dB4eiN27wjQMPe86
- During the Workshop, the Cyprus Association of Architects will take care of the safety of the participants through Group Personal Accident Insurance.
- Submission of participation declaration form deadline: 9th May 2022
- Immediately after the selection of the participants, who will be informed about it, they will be required to pay the participation fee in a bank account of Cyprus Architects Association.
- Fee payment deadline: 20th May 2022